Scientist, Protein Purification« Go Back
Employment Status: Full-Time
About Sapience Therapeutics
At Sapience, we think boldly about the possibilities for treating cancer. We aim to discover and develop peptide therapeutics to address oncogenic and immune dysregulation that drive cancer. To accomplish this goal, we are developing next generation peptide therapeutic candidates called SPEARS (Stabilized Peptides Engineered Against Regulation) to drug oncogenic transcription factors and regulatory pathways of disease that make cells cancerous or dampen the immune systems response against tumors. Our lead compound, ST101, is currently in the Phase 2 portion of a Phase 1/2 clinica trial and has demonstrated clinical proof-of-concept in cutaneous melanoma and recurrent GBM.
We are seeking a Protein Biochemist to join our team and lead efforts for production, purification, and biochemical characterization of protein reagents in support of the company’s research programs. The successful candidate will work closely with scientists in the Research and CMC groups to help deliver recombinant proteins needed for multiple assays and programs.
The candidate should be an accomplished scientist with a proven track record of success in protein production and characterization. Candidate must be able to work independently in the design, execution, and optimization of reagents and methodologies. We will be looking for a candidate with innovative ideas in protein biochemistry. Many proteins are difficult to express and purify to the necessary level. We are looking for an individual who enjoys overcoming such challenges. The candidate is expected to be an excellent communicator and thinker and be able to work independently to design and troubleshoot experiments. Candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, experienced with team-based collaborations, motivated to find solutions to thought challenges, and thrive in high functioning teams and fast-paced environment.
The primary responsibility of the scientist is to facilitate recombinant protein production by transient and stable expression in support of multiple programs. The scientist will be responsible for all aspects of recombinant protein production, included but not limited to construction of expression vectors, expressing the proteins in the appropriate organism, purifying the recombinant protein, and characterizing it as appropriate. Pursuant to these, the scientist will:
- Utilize in-depth knowledge of protein structure and function to support multiple programs
- Design and construct vectors for protein expression in multiple systems
- Express and purify proteins (soluble and membrane) and protein complexes using different expression systems
- Design and perform experiments using biochemical and biophysical assays and methodologies to characterize proteins structurally and functionally (protein-protein interactions)
- Manage multiple projects independently
- Develop innovative protein expression and characterization approaches and evaluate emerging technologies
- Design, execute and interpret experiments and data
- Document records in laboratory notebooks and prepare technical reports
- PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, or related area is preferred. Minimum two years of experience in industry or 5 years in academia, or a MS in the aforementioned areas with at least 10 years of experience.
- Strong track record of protein expression and purification in a variety of projects.
- Deep working knowledge of protein biochemical and structural characterization is required.
- Experience using different expression systems including bacteria, insect cells, mammalian cells and cell free systems with both soluble and membrane proteins.
- Experience with most standard protein purification techniques, including size-exclusion, ion exchange, affinity chromatography, and protein characterization by SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, analytical gel filtration or mass spectrometry.
- Experience with bacterial and mammalian expression vectors and chemical-based transfection and/or electroporation is required.
- Experience with bioreactors including operation, process development and data analysis is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills required
What We Offer
- A diverse and inclusive culture where ideas are shared and your authentic self is welcome
- Exceptional, collaborative, dedicated team
- The chance to participate in work which may have a transformational impact on millions of people
- Continuous learning and dynamic challenges to help you grow and be the best version of yourself
- Comprehensive health/dental/vision insurance, 401k match, stock options, PTO
How to Apply
To apply online, please fill out the form below. If you prefer to send a letter, resume or curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org please indicate the position title in the subject line of your email. We will contact you should we wish to arrange a meeting to discuss this position further.
Sapience Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds.